Friday, May 21, 2010

American Heart Association kickoff meeting

On Thursday (5/20) was the kickoff meeting for the American Heart Association Start! Heart Walk team for the Chicago Marathon by Sears Tower - I won't call it by it's new name.  I was running late but I was able to dial in on my cell so I could listen while I drive through the hell that is 90/94.  I was tweeting back and forth with @cubicledad to tell him I was going to be late.  He said I should make a dramatic entrance.  I was hoping they would ask whoever was on the phone (me) would introduce themselves and then I could pop my head in the room as I was talking.  Didn't quite work out that way.

When I finally got there 15 minutes after it started I was just in time to catch Bernie Salazar talk.  He was the at home winner of the Biggest Loser Season 5.  He lost 130 pounds over the past couple of years, and pretty much cut his weight IN HALF! Can you imagine that? I'm not sure I want to weight half of my heaviest weight (310lbs/2 = 155lbs).  But even just hearing him talk about his struggles with weight loss and his story about his first marathon, it really gives me hope for this year.  I was able to talk to him after the meeting a little bit just to get some tips and a little more inspiration.

They also showed a video of a woman who is a stroke survivor and is still motivated to run.  I pretty much was near tears watching the video.  Unfortunately I forgot her name, (her first name is Phyllis) once I find out, I'll write up a post about her.  Just an amazing story!

Now onto the pictures, and don't forget to check out my donation page: http://www.runningforjerry.org

IMG_4351.JPG

Me and Dan (@cubicledad)

 

Me and Bernie Salazar

Me and Bernie Salazar (Biggest Loser Season 5)

 

IMG_4350.JPG

American Heart Association Team!

 

After the meeting was done I walked back to my car in the garage next to SEARS Tower, so I had to snap a quick picture of it...

IMG_4355.jpg

1 comment:

Kim said...

It's so cool that you are doing the race for this organization!

I forget it is Willis now too ;)